permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Impermanence & permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Pete Gasper, Gasper Family Farm" <farmer1@gasperfarm.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Impermanence & permaculture
  • Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2014 21:17:41 -0500

Do you think this still holds true for industrial civilizations which are greatly decoupled from agriculture and driven by economic engines tied more to skilled trades and technology?

There is very much a sense here in the US that we peaked as a civilization and are rapidly going through the phases of decadence and fall. But I'm not sure I can point to causal links between our own agricultural unsustainability and the problems we're suffering. They seem as much sociological. Societies seem to have a cycle like any living thing of birth, growth, maturity, stagnation and death.

Is this only natural or can it be cheated like a coppiced tree lives for otherwise unnatural lengths of time?

Pete