permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The "problem" with PC? It's a threat.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The "problem" with PC? It's a threat.
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 13:39:45 -0500

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 12:36 PM, Mark Feineigle <mfeineigle@gmail.com>wrote:

> I think FB/G+/Social networks in general are information gathering
> operations to identify threats, act as time-sinks, and contain ideas in
> echo chambers. That said... by any means necessary.

"by any means necessary", so I have posted it to my Google+ page and in
particular the permaculture circle.
What is your opinion of G+? I have permanently abandoned FB and spend my
only social networking time on G+. For a sample of what
it offers in linking people with common interests look at the posts I have
crossposted here; some of the most interesting ideas I have encountered on
the Web.
Your post is similar to what you find in the better quarters of G+. The Paul
Chefurka <paul.chefurka@gmail.com> website is a real find, especially the
article you linked to.
I have long thought that tilting at windmills in the permaculture movement
is a mostly useless endeavor and that we need to construct, develop and
preserve an alternative lifestream
built around permaculture instead, so as not to waste vital energy,
opportunity and resources of all sorts. This would constitute a focused
effort to help people, urban and rural, learn
what permaculture is and how they can use and spread it within their
communities. Independence and self-help on all fronts, self sufficiency,
personal sovereignty and networking with others
involved in the same endeavors are the goals to achieve. That seems pretty
basic to survival any way you look at it.

Thanks for your exceptionally interesting post and here's hoping it will
spawn a lot of useful, innovative discussion here and elsewhere.

I think it might be worthwhile to list the largest groups of players in the
field of permaculture, starting with the homeowner with a pot of parsley on
the wndowsill to a 1000 acre broad acre farmer
to a thousand member community anywhere in the world, to PDC instructors,
authors, consultants, convocation organizers and other businesses aware of
the value of permaculture to society.
Some of us attempted in the past to build an online system to connect
people in every country in the world so that could share what they know and
do or would like to know and do with everyone participating. I was
especially interested in the agricultural practices, tools and equipment
used around the world. More to come. LL

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com