permaculture - [permaculture] Forest gardens (was: Re: Market Gardening is NOT Permaculture)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: georg parlow <g.parlow@gmx.at>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Forest gardens (was: Re: Market Gardening is NOT Permaculture)
  • Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2014 21:06:38 +0100

According to literature the main species for forest gardens that have supported whole villages for centuries -both in Sardinia and in Switzerland- is the chestnut. 7 trees support a family they said (or was it 7 trees per person? would have to read up on this old research paper...), having had different varieties for different puropses, some for fresh eating, some for storage in wet sand in the shade under a roof, some for drying (and grinding them later to cook a kind of porridge), some for sweet preserves, some to feed the goats with both leaves and fruit, and propably some for timber production (and fruits for goats and swine, I guess). I am afraid we have lost the varieties a while ago...

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Georg Parlow
g.parlow@gmx.at
1230 Wien, A-Baumgartnerstr. 4/B1/013