permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Energy, Semiosis and Emergence - The place of biosemiotics in an evolutionary conception of nature

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Energy, Semiosis and Emergence - The place of biosemiotics in an evolutionary conception of nature
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2014 13:54:34 -0500

This is so well written that I thought it might serve to illustrate, as a
loose analogy, the process of identifying, documenting, preserving and
protecting
the standards of Permaculture, i.e. proper stewardship.
http://www.lindahall.org/services/reference/papers/fernandez/Energy_semiosis_and_emergence.pdf
"Autonomy, i.e., self ruling or self regulation, is a distinctive mark of
organisms and living systems in
general. Organisms are parts of the world that segregate themselves from
the rest of it (their environment) through structures (membranes)
that allow selective passage of various forms of matter, energy and
information in and out of their constituted interior.
Processes within such interiors obey the samelaws of physics that govern
events in the environment, but are additionally constrained by
further restrictions arising from the conjunction of those laws and the
peculiar boundary conditions that characterize the internal dynamics of
autonomous systems."