permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture playing cards arrived today!

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: ChildrensPeaceGuild <childrenspeaceguild@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture playing cards arrived today!
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 15:43:15 -0800 (PST)

Since I have not used Wheaton's cards, I cannot comment on them. However I
can say what I've heard about the deck overall has been more or less positive
(with one exception: no female permaculture designers were included [to my
knowledge] but perhaps that is another matter...). These cards, designed by
Alexander Ojeda, have potential to be very useful and I hope they inspire
folks to look into the science of permaculture further.

As we are on the topic of permaculture & cards I hope no one will mind if I
take this opportunity to mention Living Landscapes, a Permaculture Design
card game made by Living Earth Games. Below is an excerpt of my review from
the latest issue of Permaculture Activist (Issue #90, November 2013,
http://www.permacultureactivist.net)

"Living Landscapes is a card game whose aim is to help the player
“understand sustainable landscape design.” In the directions Lizet Frijters
writes,
“With this card game we learn to see relationships between the elements of a
landscape and our needs.” The card deck is divided into three categories: 12
green cards representing Elements (e.g. windbreak, pond), 10 Red cards for
Functions/Needs (e.g. soil improvement, irrigation), and 30 Black cards which
are products (e.g. legumes, wood). The players must figure out how the
elements, functions, and products are all connected.
There are a number of ways to play Living Landscapes. In one
version, for example, the goal is to make sure each function is supported by
at
least two elements and yields a product. In truth the game is designed for
open-ended play limited only by the imagination of the participants. My
daughter has even created her own game using the cards!
“There is no winner or loser in the game,” Lizet writes, “it is
rather an introduction to discussion. The fun comes from the exchange and
discussion between players.” The soft water-color images are beautiful and
even
include a few blank cards allowing individuals to personalize their own deck.
As an added bonus these permaculture playing cards have traditional numbers
and
symbols on them (i.e. 8 of Spades) to play any common card game such as poker
or bridge. Although once you have experienced the lively discussion of
possibilities, patterns, and solutions that Living Landscapes fosters,
traditional games will seem mundane by comparison.
Unlimited players, two age categories: 4-7 and 7 to adult."

http://livingearthgames.com.au/livinglandscapes.html

http://www.etsy.com/listing/80903331/living-landscapes-permaculture-card-game

-Roman Shapla
Children's Permaculture Guild

On Monday, November 25, 2013 1:25 PM, Steve Hart