permaculture - Re: [permaculture] FDA FSMA Proposed Rule for Produce Safety | Organic Farmers Bash FDA Restrictions On Manure Use : The Salt : NPR

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] FDA FSMA Proposed Rule for Produce Safety | Organic Farmers Bash FDA Restrictions On Manure Use : The Salt : NPR
  • Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 22:27:42 -0500

Here is a potential advocate, when he finishes school, a very impressive
gentleman:
4 with Virginia ties named 2014 Rhodes Scholars
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/4-with-virginia-ties-named-2014-rhodes-scholars/2013/11/24/88af577e-5526-11e3-bdbf-097ab2a3dc2b_story.html

McGrail, who has been studying political economy and history, has
volunteered to help low-income people prepare their taxes, interned on
Elizabeth Warren’s U.S. Senate campaign and is president of the Williams
College Democrats. In an interview, McGrail said he was inspired to study
taxation and income inequality after the Occupy Wall Street movement.
“Really there is almost a moral outrage over income inequality these days,”
he said. “When you look at the practical side ... it’s about how people at
the top of the income distribution respond to tax rates.”At Oxford, McGrail
plans to study comparative social policy and research how other countries
have found solutions to policy problems. He would eventually like to work
on political campaigns, advise elected leaders and develop public policy,
he said. “The way I look at it is Oxford is about putting more tools in
your tool box,” McGrail said. Last summer, he worked with Jon Bakija, an
economics professor, to research federal and state tax policy. “Brian is
committed to a career in public service and is well-suited for this due to
his rare combination of beautiful writing ability, strong technical skills,
passionate interest in and extensive understanding of economics and public
policy as potential forces for improving people’s well-being,” Bakija said
in a statement.
<>

Maybe he will become interested in exploring federal government regulatory
processes with an eye toward "improving people’s well-being".

On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 12:42 PM, Pete Gasper, Gasper Family Farm <
farmer1@gasperfarm.com> wrote:

> Bob's idea won't work. This sort of hyper regution happened before back in
> the 60's with the introduction of the Pasteurized Milk Ordinance and then
> again in the 90's with HACCP regulations of butchers. In both cases it
> resulted in the mass loss of dairy farmers and small butchers as regulators
> used their new found uncheckable powers to drive them out of business.
>
> The moment you become subject to the whim of a regulator to stay open it is
> game over. The only question is how long you'll be able to hold out. There
> is no logic or right thinking being involved here. FSMA is just a hammer to
> be used by BigAg to prevent the upstart competition.
>
> The ONLY solution here is resistance.
>
> And its not just the compost thing. The costs for bringing up to standard
> will wipe out most operations and those that survive will be whittled away
> by year on year compliance costs.

A big thumbs up for this statement!
What is to be done?
I invested $150000 in 6 acres of farmland, intending to provide myself with
guaranteed production
for income generation over the long haul, assure myself that I would have
crops to harvest from vastly improved soil quality in my systems of market
gardens.

It is beyond preposterous that external forces totally unrelated to us
might seek to rob us of our right to grow and market farm crops locally to
our chosen customer base.
Preposterous hardly begins to describe it.

One thing I can offer beyond this list (other lists have stifled and
otherwise censored discussion of this topic) is to offer a different
mailing list for private, non public discussion amongst those of us
affected by these new regulations in order for us to network, offer support
and ideas and solutions so we can still make a living farming and gardening.
I have two; if interested pick the one with the name you like best:
orangegrapevine
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/orangegrapevineand
soilecology
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/soilecology

If interested let me know and I will subscribe only those who let me know
they want to participate.

LL

--
Lawrence F. London