permaculture - Re: [permaculture] FDA FSMA Proposed Rule for Produce Safety | Organic Farmers Bash FDA Restrictions On Manure Use : The Salt : NPR

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Bob Waldrop <bob@bobwaldrop.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] FDA FSMA Proposed Rule for Produce Safety | Organic Farmers Bash FDA Restrictions On Manure Use : The Salt : NPR
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 11:09:01 -0600

There will likely be a number of adaptations and this could be one of them. In fact, I'm thinking we should be collecting a set of "best practices for adapting to screwball federal bureaucrats who have never farmed and don't have a clue but are trying to close down local ag at the behest of their big ag money people."

lol.

Well, it probably shouldn't have that complete title but you get my emotional feelings on this. Yesterday was the delivery day of the Oklahoma Food Cooperative www.oklahomafood.coop and so over the day I chatted with dozens of Oklahoma farmers, small and mid-size, and everyone was very worried. It wasn't that they couldn't adapt, but they were worried about what they would have to adapt to, and mostly, they were worried about the extreme discretion granted to local inspectors. They are seriously concerned about outright abuses of power and corruption (as in demands for cash from inspectors or inspectors being bribed by competitors to shut down farms).

Anyway, a series of short 500-1000 word articles about adapting to the realities of FDA regulation would be a serious benefit. I don't think there needs to be any organization, people should just start writing them and everyone can publicize them.

Bob Waldrop, Oklahoma City
http://www.ipermie.net Permaculture your urban lifestyle & protect yourself
from the four horsemen of the modern apocalypse: peak oil, climate instability,
economic irrationality, and political criminality