permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Purifying rainfall passing through watersheds involving gardens, pastures, residential areas, fields and catchment ponds.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Purifying rainfall passing through watersheds involving gardens, pastures, residential areas, fields and catchment ponds.
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 13:39:30 -0400

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Alia Tsang <alia@dietrick.org> wrote:

> I'd stay away from water hyacinth, it can be a terrible invasive. I
> remember it completely carpeting the river at some points when I was in
> Florida.
>
> >From wikipedia:
>
> "When not controlled, water hyacinth will cover lakes and ponds entirely;
> this dramatically impacts water flow, blocks sunlight from reaching native
> aquatic plants, and starves the water of oxygen, often killing fish (or
> turtles)."

In small controllable colonies it works better than anything else I have
used.It will not overwinter where I am
so I kept some in an old freezer filled with water with a glass top covered
with insulation on cold nights.
it will turn murky nutrient polluter water crystal clear in not time at all.

Some else suggested using this method;

"You could do mycoremediation with mushroom spawn and woodchips. For
example, you could put mushroom spawn (oyster mushroom is good) in
woodchips in gunny sacks and let the mycelium grow for awhile then secure
them in a slow part of the creek so the water passes through and is cleaned
by the mycelium. The mushrooms break the toxins down into their basic
elements so they are no longer toxic."