permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Purifying rainfall passing through watersheds involving gardens, pastures, residential areas, fields and catchment ponds.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Alia Tsang <alia@dietrick.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Purifying rainfall passing through watersheds involving gardens, pastures, residential areas, fields and catchment ponds.
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 08:20:22 -0700

I'd stay away from water hyacinth, it can be a terrible invasive. I
remember it completely carpeting the river at some points when I was in
Florida.

>From wikipedia:

"When not controlled, water hyacinth will cover lakes and ponds entirely;
this dramatically impacts water flow, blocks sunlight from reaching native
aquatic plants, and starves the water of oxygen, often killing fish (or
turtles)."

Alia