permaculture - Re: [permaculture] fermented plant teas

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] fermented plant teas
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 23:57:10 +0100

It was always done by just cutting nettles and putting them in a big barrel of rainwater. No cutting or shredding and definitely not adding sugar since that used to be a very limited resource. After about a week to ten days the liquid turned dark brown, almost black and it started smelling quite powerfully. Then it was used in sprays and watering cans.
I suppose it would have been better to use it before it started smelling for that always indicates you are loosing nutrients to the air.
John