permaculture - [permaculture] PC People In N.C.: Fwd: BAJ: WED 6/12 HOPE TAYLOR - FIGHTING FOR OUR WATER! + further news

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] PC People In N.C.: Fwd: BAJ: WED 6/12 HOPE TAYLOR - FIGHTING FOR OUR WATER! + further news
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 16:45:58 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: JC Markatos <markatos@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 4:14 PM
To: Jerry Markatos <markatos@mindspring.com>

Jam-Packed notice...
Contents:

Reminder - FIGHTING FOR OUR WATER!
Wednesday evening, June 12
+
Related program - SATURDAY JUNE 22 Frack-Free Forum
at the Ruritan Club bldg in Bynum, NC. Info and tickets at
http://frackfreenc-forum.**eventbrite.com/#<http://frackfreenc-forum.eventbrite.com/#>

+
Followup info to support Witness for Peace's call
to Chiquita Brands to do right by Afro-Colombian families
hit by Chiquita-funded Colombian death squads.

And!! Chapel Hill's Empowerment Project solicits
completion money for timely documentary, "Seizing Power:
How perpetual warfare is destroying American democracy and individual
rights,
and what you can do about it" http://www.indiegogo.com/**
projects/seizing-power <http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/seizing-power>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First... Hope Taylor - Fighting for our Water!

Public pressure is impeding the NC Legislature's
mad rush to trash environmental rules and permanently
contaminate water supplies across NC for short term profit.

Hear veteran environmental defender and advocate Hope Taylor,
Executive Director of Clean Water for North Carolina, prepare us
to defend our state and biosphere from the major threats of
privatization, fracking, regulatory rollbacks and irresponsible
legislation.

Be sure to invite others you know who support carcinogen-free
food and water, and North Carolina's future!

Jerry Markatos 919 542-2139
Balance & Accuracy in Journalism

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~**~~

Wednesday, June 12, 7:30 pm at
The Community Church of Chapel Hill, UU
106 Purefoy Road

Balance & Accuracy in Journalism
and
Clean Water for North Carolina

present

HOPE TAYLOR
on
FIGHTING FOR OUR WATER!

Hope Taylor will update us on the public's successes
and the struggle ahead as the Fracking Bill, Senate Bill S76,
returns to the Senate after positive revisions in the House.

Our actions are crucial for holding the line on gains made
so far by the public.

Along with organizing opportunities, knowledgeable action
can create an effective barrier to the industry's rapacious influence.

Come pick up Alternative Radio disks to share, of Sandra Steingraber's
powerful talk, "Fracking and Public Health."

~~~~~~

Opening the program on WEDNESDAY...TPC's Rachel Hazlett

Several weeks ago a number of BAJ members responded
to our call for contributions to help The Peoples Channel send
Rachel Hazlett to the national conference of
Alliance for Community Media. I didn't know it at the time,
but our $350 contribution would be decisive in allowing Rachel
to attend that dynamic San Francisco conference.

Rachel will brief us on the gathering, and its significance to
public access channels like Chapel Hill's Channel 8, as well as
community stations like WCOM, both of which broadcast
much-needed independently produced media programs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~**~~~~~~~~~~

For details on a
SATURDAY JUNE 22 Frack-Free Public Forum
at the Ruritan Club bldg in Bynum, NC.
See
http://frackfreenc-forum.**eventbrite.com/#<http://frackfreenc-forum.eventbrite.com/#>
info and registration: $10; w box lunch $20
Program includes key leaders in the clean water movement in NC
as well as two dairy farmers from Bradford County, Pennsylvania
who suffer the effects of shale gas extraction.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~**~~
Followup to May 21 BAJ meeting on Chiquita in Colombia...
When Jeanine Legato came from Witness for Peace's Colombia
office to speak at the May 23 Chiquita stockholder meeting in Charlotte,
she offered us an opportunity to email Chiquita's corporate responsibility
officer in support. Here's his email address and Jeanine's letter
to the company president containing points you could include in your
comment.

Manuel Rodriguez (Chiquita's Senior Vice President, Government &
International Affairs, and Corporate Responsibility Officer):
mrodriguez@chiquita.com, 980-636-5574

"I urge you to make reconciliation with victims and transparency of
information a cornerstone of your turnaround strategy for the company.

"In my capacity as Co-coordinator of the Colombia Program at Witness for
Peace, I have spent two years documenting the human rights conditions in
Uraba. I can assure you that Chiquita’s infraction has not been forgotten
by the Colombian public, and neither will it be forgotten by the American
consumer.

"In the interest of the company, I urge you to respond to the following
requests, compiled by Witness for Peace in close consultation with impacted
Afro-Colombian communities in Uraba and the Colombian human rights defense
organizations that accompany them:

• Drop the lawsuit against the Security and Exchange
Commission to show Chiquita’s commitment to truth, justice, and
transparency.
• Make public where Chiquita bananas are being sourced from
in Colombia to prove that Colombian bananas marketed by Chiquita aren’t
products of the same bloodstained para-economy. Publicly clarify the
relationship of Chiquita with supplier Banacol.
• Publicly apologize for Chiquita’s financing of death squads
that put profit before the lives of 14,000 innocent Colombians.
• Create an independent fund for the victims of Colombia’s
war equal to or greater than the profits earned by Chiquita through its
Colombian operations during the period the company paid guerrillas and
paramilitaries.
• Immediately fire all Chiquita employees who authorized and
carried out illegal, immoral and deadly payments to Colombian guerrillas
and paramilitaries.
Thank you for your attention to this matter and for your timely response.
I can be reached by email at colombia@witnessforpeace.org. "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~**~~~~~~~
DIRECTIONS TO THE COMMUNITY CHURCH OF CHAPEL HILL:

106 Purefoy Road, in Chapel Hill

FROM EITHER DIRECTION ON THE CHAPEL HILL BY-PASS:
Exit at the 15-501 Pittsboro exit.
As you exit, TURN at the traffic light toward Chapel Hill.
In half a block, TURN RIGHT just short of the convenience store.
That's PUREFOY ROAD, and you take it almost a half mile,
passing side streets and curving left up the hill past speed bumps and
an extra stop sign [until you can just see the stop sign at the
T-intersection.]
Watch for a driveway on the left with a white-painted curb
and a tan colored sign for the church.
that driveway takes you to the parking lot and the Community Church.
-----

  • [permaculture] PC People In N.C.: Fwd: BAJ: WED 6/12 HOPE TAYLOR - FIGHTING FOR OUR WATER! + further news, Lawrence London, 06/11/2013