permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Cinder Block = Fly Ash?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Gasper Family Farm <farmer1@gasperfarm.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Cinder Block = Fly Ash?
  • Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 13:49:14 -0500

Fly-ash is a common additive to cement or concrete and so it would not surprise me it makes its way into cinder blocks as well, though probably not as the sole or even major constituent part.

But I second the idea to skip fancy bed edges. A good layer of mulch on the edges stops any errosion. Though you may not be able to get that waist high effect. But the Ausie permaculturists are fond of using large culvert rings for their zone 0 kitchen gardens. The galvanizing makes me cringe but the functional and aesthetic effect is very nice.

Pete