permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Subject: cooperation between permaculture teachers

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Jesse Van Wollingen" <jesse@permaculturehub.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Subject: cooperation between permaculture teachers
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 21:58:57 +1100

Hey All

This might be the first time I'm posting to this list - please be gentle! J

I would love to see this thread of thought about collaboration and
cooperation become the central mantra and action plan of permaculture folk
over the next few years. There is such a great diversity of experiences,
networks, guilds etc but to-date we have failed to crack the nut of
large-scale regular permaculture networking, collaboration etc (beyond the
IPC's). This year has already seen some exciting new regional developments
with the Florida convergence, upcoming Southern CA convergence, Bolivia
holding their first international convergence and a Michigan team putting
together a convergence there, not to mention the many existing gatherings
that are expected to continue this year (such as the Northern CA, Pacific
NW, the Inland NW, and Northeast convergences).

My personal view is that if we can collectively commit to seriously up-ing
the ante in our online collaborations it could be a catalyst to drive the
dual benefits of (1) creating visible at-scale networking (regional to
national to global) while also (2) becoming a significant collaborative
"attractional brand" that has the potential to dramatically expand the
exposure of permaculture design (and in turn facilitate larger uptake of the
work).

Permaculturehub (permaculturehub.com) was started in 2011 as a first attempt
at moving this idea from concept to reality. It's a first effort that I
would love you all to think about and engage with. Koreen, Skeeter, Andrew,
Alan and I'm sure others on this list have had conversations with me in the
past and are also currently members of the site. Andrew's
beaverstatepermaculture.com uses the same online social platform.

Here's what I see as some of the strengths of Permaculturehub and important
differentiators from what we - the permaculture community - have been doing
to-date:

. Graphical/visual - Plenty of rich-media options e.g. video's and
photos. Online forums have served the community well for a long time but are
old text-based technology (read: "irrelevant to younger generations") in an
increasingly visual-learning focused world;

. Online and open - Majority of site content viewable and searchable
from anywhere on the net by anyone, restricted areas designed to encourage
engagement. Listservs by contrast have served the community well for a long
time but are now also old technology and definitely limit the potential
audience size (not necessarily a bad thing) and are generally not visible to
non-members;

. Social media savvy - Interactive options that enable users to
contribute their own content, provide feedback on other peoples content and
link to other social media sources;

. Transparently integrative - Large capacity for group setups such
as guilds (private or public), multiple page administrators while the very
existence of the site is focussed on growing relationships;

. Not just for permaculture people - Permaculturehub opens our
permaculture world up to anyone with an internet connection (there is even
an active mobile phone version of the website). The PermacultureGlobal
website is a fantastic addition to the community and a great resource for
those looking for a permaculture consultant, but arguably and unfortunately
probably does not have much content that is of interest to anyone else.

Permaculturehub is not the perfect solution and may not be the final
solution that the community settles on but I think it provides a solid step
forward and if we can gather a group of quality permaculture people and
build momentum around the site (or something similar) I really believe that
we could see some exciting things happen from this (or something like it).

There are lots of conversations that need to be had including whether this
is a step the community thinks is worthwhile and if so what ideas there are
for organization, priorities, governance etc so let's get the ball rolling!
Oh, and there's a Teachers group on Permaculturehub that was setup with the
intention of encouraging collaboration, you'll find it here (but will need
to be a member of the site to gain access):
http://www.permaculturehub.com/group/teachers.

And apologies for the very long email.

In community

Jesse

PS. The next two weeks are crazy busy for me so please be patient if you're
expecting me to respond to something.

Jesse Van

ph_header_sm_o_f

w: permaculturehub.com

f: facebook.com/permaculturehub

e: jesse@permaculturehub.com

p: +61 411 790 712 (Australia)

The information contained in this email and any attachments are strictly
confidential and are for the use of the intended recipient. Any use,
dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of any part of this email or
any attachment is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
notify the sender by return email and delete all copies including
attachments.