permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: [compost_tea] Compost tea in Honduras - Advice needed

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, Market Farming <marketfarming@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: [compost_tea] Compost tea in Honduras - Advice needed
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 14:45:36 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 10:48:39 -0800 (PST)
From: Olivier Francescangeli <olofran10@yahoo.com>

Hi all,
My name is Olivier, I just joined the group, I am 20 years old and I am
an agronomy engineering student. I will be doing my thesis
this following year. For that, I have built a home made compost tea
machine and I have based my research on Dr. Elaine Ingham's brewing
manual as well as Tim Wilson's microscope microbial evaluation videos.
The thesis subject is a comparison between compost tea and other organic
compounds such as compost, bokashi and some other organic
bio-fertilizers in order to introduce compost tea and show its
properties in Honduras which are unknown. This will be done in Honduras
(where the Zamorano university is located) which has a tropical climate
(24 °C average temperature and 1100 mm average anual rain) and an
altitude of 800 meters.
I am not sure yet what plants I will be doing the tests on but one of
the possibilities is chili peppers (/Capsicum annuum)
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsicum_annuum/
//
This is why I was wondering if I could get some advice on:

1. An easy to find receipe for the foods to add to the compost tea
2. What natural substitutes are there for Molasses, Kelp, Humic Acids
and other important ingredients
3. What plants would better fit for the experiment
4. How can I best measure the differences between the treatments

Any other advices, experiences and comments would also be very much
appreciated.
Thank you very much,
Sincerely,
Olivier