permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Attn: Paul Wheaton Re: How to Feed 9 Billion People

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: paul wheaton <paul@richsoil.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Attn: Paul Wheaton Re: How to Feed 9 Billion People
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 10:53:15 -0700

> Remember TBBS and Wildcat,

After the BBS era, I did some work for the TBBS company on their
"internet protocol adapter" aka "IPAD" :)

> USR
> 9600 baud modems, 14400?

At one point I owned several accoustic coupler 300 baud modems. 1200
baud was sooooo fast.

> Sysops talked shop and had a great old time.

And this is part of what I am trying to do with permies. Get
permaculture folks to talk shop. Like what I used to experience on
good BBSs or CompuServe. Not this troll infested stuff that seems so
popular today.

----------------------

Back to the feeding 9 billion people thing ....

I was talking to Jocelyn this morning about how one goes about
changing the world. So we focused on a group of people that we know
of. And we mentally picked out a subset: they have at least $300,000
in their portfolio; they drive a mercedes or similar vehicle; they
are nearing retirement, or retired; then they get cancer or some
other terminal illness. Jocelyn is frustrated because these people
are adamant that they cannot afford organic food. Further, Jocelyn
has pointed out that they will probably not consider organic food or
alternative treatments - but will subject themselves to "moderm
medicine".

My position is: where did their cancer come from?

But the real question is: how to persuade them. I think 2% might be
persuaded by eminent death and willing to consider anything. But I
want to persuade 60% or more. And I think the trick is not to send
them a four color brochure about alternatives, but to send them
hundreds of tiny tidbits of information spread out over many years so
that when the day that comes that they have cancer, then 60% or more
are open to alternatives rather than 2%.

Then comes the hard work. You have to come up with a tidbit and a
means to get that to these people. Generally the tidbit is ten hours
of work. Getting it to them is a hundred hours of work.

And it is the same thing for changing our food streams. Hundreds of
tidbits of information.

And getting the tidbits to the brains is ten times harder than
creating the tidbits.

--

Sign up for my daily-ish email, or my devious plots for world
domination: http://www.richsoil.com/email.jsp