permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Attn: Paul Wheaton Re: How to Feed 9 Billion People

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: paul wheaton <paul@richsoil.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Attn: Paul Wheaton Re: How to Feed 9 Billion People
  • Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 12:05:53 -0700

Well, you know how to get my attention!

> If forums are used how nice it would be to have a chat
> option

Well, maybe. I guess the thing that is really slowing me down is that
I'm not keen on chat.

> Could you hack the source code for your online web forum app

:)

Dude, the forum software we use is a copy of JForum. Heavily modified
by the staff at my larger web site CodeRanch.com. I suspect that
there are a dozen people on this list that have used JavaRanch or
CodeRanch at some point. Probably to help them get through a college
programming class.

These wonderful people are making new changes to JForum every week.
And a handful have heard me talk about permaculture so much that they
are glad to make changes that help permies.com but doesn't do much (or
anything) for coderanch. Our image uploade stuff, for example, was
overhauled for permies.

> With old BBS's you would have a door app doing chat but this mod would
> probably have to be fully integrated into the app source code.

Now you are guiding me down memory lane.

It was with BBSs that I first discovered that I did not like chat. :)
In 1995, my terminal software (BananaCom) was the most popular for
DOS/windows computers for accessing BBSs.

I found one of the old boxes a coupla months back and posted pics:

http://www.coderanch.com/t/589650

> It would be nice to see this mod be made available in the Fukuoka
> Farming forum at Permies. the FF list is lagging, i.e. not really
> serving a global audience despite the importance of its subject. It
> would be good to boost your Fukuoka forum and stimulate activity.
> It is a super important topic not only to permaculturists but many
> others, i.e. Chadwick, Bonfils, Hazelip, Jeavons, Coleman advocates.

Hmmmmm ... I suspect that we can come up with stuff to build up the
traffic in the forum.

Start a thread on "building fukuoka traffic" in the tinkering forum at
permies.com. Let's see if we can get some brainstorming there.

Apparently, Fukuoka's birthday is February 2, 1913. So this upcoming
Feb 2 would be his 100th birthday. I think we should explore a
massive celebration!

--

Sign up for my daily-ish email, or my devious plots for world
domination: http://www.richsoil.com/email.jsp