permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: THE ALAN CHADWICK ARCHIVE PROJECT, North Carolina

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, marketfarming <marketfarming@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: THE ALAN CHADWICK ARCHIVE PROJECT, North Carolina
  • Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 16:39:16 -0500

*From:* Craig Siska <thealanchadwickarchive@gmail.com>
*Date:* November 29, 2012, 11:40:40 AM EST

Friends, apprentices & colleagues of Alan Chadwick,

Greetings.

This last September, a few of us made a trip around CA. We visited some of
Alan's friends and apprentices, culminating in a 9/23 meeting in Santa Cruz
at Paul Lee's home.

Agaja Enahoro, Gregg Novotny, Craig Siska & Gregory Hudson met with Jean
Schwartzkopf. Agaja, Gregg & Craig then met for lunch @ Betty Peck's home
with her friends & family in Saratoga; then we met and stayed at Chris &
Stephanie Tebbutt at their farm in Booneville; and then stayed with Dennis
Tamura & Lori Perry at Blue Heron Farm. Just before the meeting at Paul
Lee's, we stayed at Kathleen Acacia Down's home in Carmel. We wanted to
make it to Green Gulch, but regrettably could not fit it in on this trip.
Everyone we could think of - connected to Alan's work @ Green Gulch - was
invited to the meeting @ Paul Lee's home.

Of all the people who were invited....some of the attendees @ Paul Lee's
home were:
Dot Brovarney, Kathleen Downs, Agaja Enahoro, Jodi Frediani, Gregory
Hudson, Peter Jorris, Paul Lee, Fred Marshall, Nada Miljkovic, Gregg
Novotny, Craig Siska, Dennis Tamura, Jack Tomlinson, Alec & Claudia
Webster, et al.

The AC Archive was discussed; funding potential; and views and concerns
were expressed as to how Alan, & Alan's work, vision and legacy should be
presented to the public. Dot Brovarney - a historian - and Fred Marshall,
are currently working on an excellent oral history of the Garden Village
Project in Covelo. We here in NC will do all we can to assist them in that
project.

Richard Baker-Roshi, of CO, legally transferred the literary executorship
of Alan's works over to Paul Lee. Then, on Sept. 23rd, Paul Lee legally
granted permission to Craig Siska & Stephen Crimi to use all of the said
materials. (See document, attached). Craig and Stephen have also received
written legal permission to use many materials already gathered, such as
videotape, lecture cassettes, notes, photos, etc. *There is much more
material left to gather, edit and organize.*
------------------
The *raison d'etre* of the Alan Chadwick archive is simple:
To give the free gift of Alan's work,vision and legacy to the world, via a
website.... "letting Alan be Alan", through audio lectures, transcripts of
lectures & talks, and videos.

The AC Archive Website, as conceived at present, will consist of:
A) Some biographical text and background material of Alan's life.

B) Remastered audio lectures/ with edited transcripts and extensive
notes/definitions, etc.

C) Edited videotape & audio tape of Alan being interviewed.

D) Photographs, letters and other salient documents.

E) An essay section, allowing friends, apprentices and colleagues of Alan's
to write about their experiences with Alan, expressing their views how
about how they were influenced and what they did in their lives afterward.

F) Also planned: TWO hard copy archival sites: one under the stewardship of
Paul Lee, and his nonproft, housed at a renovated barn on the UCSC Campus;
the other housed with Stephen Crimi in NC.
------------
Regarding fundraising, Craig & Stephen are currently working with (1) Herb
Schmidt/Paul Lee and their nonprofit in Santa Cruz and (2) The Institute Of
Man & Nature, *possibly* utilizing both nonprofits as pass thru orgs. for
donations to the AC Archive in NC, so donors can receive a tax deduction
for contributions.

In other news: On Oct. 26th, Craig Siska met with Raymond Chavez for a
wonderful dinner. Raymond will help us to the extent he can.

Mark Taper, Bernard Taper's son, has commited to send us here in NC, all of
his fathers materials regarding Alan. Mr. Taper was going to write an
article and book about Alan in the late 70s. Mark recently sent us audio
tapes of Bernard's talks with Alan, with more materials to come. A true
treasure.

At present, we anticipate that it will take two years or more to complete
the entire archive.

*I would like to thank - and express my deepest appreciation to - all who
have stepped forward to help us with this archival project so far. THANK
YOU ALL.....*

More later.

Warm regards to everyone,
Craig

*Craig Siska, Landscape Architect*
*PO Box 804*
*Montreat, NC 28757*
*(828) 357-5015 [home/office land line]*
*
*
*Emails:*
*thealanchadwickarchive@gmail.com*
*siskadesign@gmail.com*
*
*
*Document:*

[image: image.jpeg]

  • [permaculture] Fwd: THE ALAN CHADWICK ARCHIVE PROJECT, North Carolina, Lawrence London, 12/01/2012