permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Bio-Control of Redroot Pigweed, amaranthus spinosus

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Bio-Control of Redroot Pigweed, amaranthus spinosus
  • Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2012 15:31:26 -0400

On 10/7/2012 9:53 AM, georg parlow wrote:
my personal strategie is eating them. Seriously. Of course this only
works in a garden situation - but this year in my 80m2 community

I did not know that pigweed was edible.

garden plot radishes (which were sown) and wild spinach (mostly A.
spinosus, some Atriplex and Cheniopodium) was my main harvest for the

Chenopodium album, lambs quarters
leaves fresh and raw are excellent in salads

first few months. I love the stuff, mostsly cooked up in curries :P
Later, when the 'real vegetables' came on strong, I just pulled them
when they got too large, but I deliberately left some going to seed...
The plot to my left is occupied by an east indian family, and they
sowed a red-leaf variety of Amaranth, that looks just like A. spinosus.

Never heard of that plant; was thinking you might have meant Red Shiso
Perilla frutescens
red chiso
beefsteak leaves
used with umeboshi plums and alone in Japanese cooking or as a condiment
it has a lot of flavor, unique
ume plum, beefsteak leaf, rice all go well together