permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Bio-Control of Redroot Pigweed, amaranthus spinosus

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: georg parlow <g.parlow@gmx.at>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Bio-Control of Redroot Pigweed, amaranthus spinosus
  • Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2012 15:53:31 +0200

my personal strategie is eating them. Seriously. Of course this only works in a garden situation - but this year in my 80m2 community garden plot radishes (which were sown) and wild spinach (mostly A. spinosus, some Atriplex and Cheniopodium) was my main harvest for the first few months. I love the stuff, mostsly cooked up in curries :P Later, when the 'real vegetables' came on strong, I just pulled them when they got too large, but I deliberately left some going to seed... The plot to my left is occupied by an east indian family, and they sowed a red-leaf variety of Amaranth, that looks just like A. spinosus.

Best,
Georg