permaculture - Re: [permaculture] permaculture, dentist.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] permaculture, dentist.
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 22:11:27 -0400

On 8/16/2012 9:48 PM, Alia Tsang wrote:

Keeping your mouth alkaline (like by brushing/rinsing with baking soda) is
supposed to help your teeth remineralize. Also, you have natural tooth
decay fighting and remineralizing stuff in your saliva so avoid letting
your mouth dry out.

Anyone here use home made tooth powders?

I'll bet there are a lot of great homebrew formulas for that.
Here's one I just found:
Ingredients:
1/2 c. bentonite clay
1/8 c. aluminum-free baking soda
6-10 drops peppermint essential oil
glass jar
<>
I would substitute fennel or anise flavoring for peppermint as it can affect digestion. I use Trader Joes's clone toothpaste of the various Tom's varieties, the fennell flavored being my favorite. Propolis is also good to add.

I chew a lot of sugarless gum and only one brand: Trident which has
xylitol in it which is said to conteract dangerous stomach bacteria,
specifically, from Wikipedia:
Helicobacter pylori (/ˌhɛlɪkɵˈbæktər paɪˈlɔraɪ/; H. pylori), previously named Campylobacter pyloridis, is a Gram-negative, microaerophilic bacterium found in the stomach. It was identified in 1982 by Barry Marshall and Robin Warren, who found that it was present in patients with chronic gastritis and gastric ulcers, conditions that were not previously believed to have a microbial cause. It is also linked to the development of duodenal ulcers and stomach cancer. However, over 80 percent of individuals infected with the bacterium are asymptomatic and it has been postulated that it may play an important role in the natural stomach ecology.[1]

More than 50% of the world's population harbor H. pylori in their upper gastrointestinal tract. Infection is more prevalent in developing countries, and incidence is decreasing in Western countries. H. pylori's helix shape (from which the generic name is derived) is thought to have evolved to penetrate the mucoid lining of the stomach.[2][3]

<>

So, HP may play an important role in stomach ecology so getting rid of it may not be wise. Still Trident seems to clean my teeth and I do not chew it all the time. I expect that the dangerous role HP may play is related to poor diet and lack of effective probiotics. Miso, kim chee, kraut, kombucha, kefir, yoghurt, Bragg natural, unpasteurized vinegar and other products will help sustain colonies of beneficial microorganisms in the digestive tract.

LL