permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The US is No Longer Food Self-Reliant

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jason Gerhardt <jasongerhardt@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The US is No Longer Food Self-Reliant
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 14:54:53 -0600

Now here is a very sane perspective, and one that fits almost exactly my
own (probably why I like it):) I think excessively fear infused information
only serves to spread fear, which creates more debilitation than motivation
(usually not the desired result).

Thank you, Toby.

Toby wrote:

"My bet is on a brief, extreme currency collapse (loss of faith in the
dollar) rendering the dollar essentially worthless for a few months while
things get sorted out. Put your wealth in things that are tangible. A
currency collapse will wipe out the paper wealth of everyone with
investments and a bank account--and disrupt commodities markets, which can
disrupt food deliveries and make farmers plant more or less, depending.
But, as in the USSR, Argentina, and lots of other places, currency
collapses get repaired in a few months or, at worst, a year or two. You
just have to plan to survive that, and adjust to the new system. It doesn't
fall apart for long."

--
Jason Gerhardt
Designer and Educator

  • Re: [permaculture] The US is No Longer Food Self-Reliant, Jason Gerhardt, 08/16/2012