permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Oregon criminalizes permaculture - rainwater collection illegal - violators sent to jail

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Oregon criminalizes permaculture - rainwater collection illegal - violators sent to jail
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 17:04:05 -0600

This is, as Andrew says, needlessly sensational. Oregon encourages rainwater
collection from roofs and paved surfaces without a permit, and you can see
hundreds of rain barrels all over Portland, Eugene, and other cities and
rural areas that are very visible and legal. The man in question is
collecting surface runoff in ponds, and may have diverted streams. The laws
are, indeed, strict about that, with very good reason. I've seen many
horribly designed ponds that had very negative effects on downstream
neighbors. Many states do "own" rainfall, to insure that downstream flows are
not diminished, not a perfect answer, as I'd rather that gov't didn't get
involved, but this policy has prevented very irresponsible water projects.

I know of many pond projects that have gotten permitted. It's not that hard,
though harder than it was 20 years ago. You need to demonstrate that
downstream flow will not be diminished over time. That's smart.

The idea that collecting sunlight could be outlawed by the same logic is just
silly, as there can be no downstream "sun flow," unless we're talking about
blocking a neighbor's sun, which is something I think should not be permitted.

Inflammatory articles like this do more harm than good, and this one is not
well thought out. The "it's mine and I can do whatever I want with it"
argument is nonsensical and harmful when it comes to water, land, and
anything connected to the commons. What does follow from that kind of poor
thinking is, "I can pollute the water and land inside my property line
because it's mine" and we've seen where that goes.

Permaculture is not being criminalized. Destructive resource damage is.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com