permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture standards.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Darrell E. Frey" <defrey@bioshelter.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture standards.
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 19:33:40 -0400

I have taught Permaculture in University and college settings, in 1987, 1988. 1997, 1998, and 2005. And I have worked on design teams with Architects, Engineers, Landscape Architects, and various other professionals. Folks from many of these professions have been my students ( though I prefer the phrase "course participants"). I have met with permaculture designers making big money consulting on big projects, and permaculture designers working for nothing on small projects. I have worked with many permaculture teachers and designers on various projects.
Everyone I have worked with and interacted with have brought a high level of ethics and standards to their work. I have always been received as a full team member with professional respect. But it has been a long slow curve for permaculture to be more widely recognized. We are finally coming into our own as a profession.
When , in 1987, I asked Bill Mollison permission to teach permaculture he said it was time to open up to more teachers and that we would sink or swim as per our merits as teachers. The same is true about maintaining the standards of permaculture. There is much work to be done, and we are starting to be in demand. Those of us who do good work and maintain high permaculture ethics and good work ethics will ride the wave to success. Those who do not will fade away. There are efforts underway to keep the format of permaculture courses and diploma processes fairly consistant, especially folks working on the Permaculture Institute of North America. I believe this is a great idea. After folks take a certificate course and perhaps a receive diploma, It is market forces and their own work that determine their success. Only those with high permaculture standards will prevail.
Darrell E. Frey
Three Sisters Farm
defrey@bioshelter.com
www.bioshelter.com

Author; Bioshelter Market Garden: A Permaculture Farm. New Society Publishing, 2011