permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fwd: Nth American Conf- meet in the middle?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fwd: Nth American Conf- meet in the middle?
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 03:11:33 -0700 (PDT)

Austin and the eastern slope of the Rockies both have strong permie networks
that might help organize the event. Detroit might - not sure. There is also
Kansas...

I might be able to get permission to do it at Pine Ridge reservation, if
anybody is interested. That is almost next to the center of the universe at
Blatt, ND. Conditions would be very primitive there, but they would be very
interested in building structure that would accomodate more permies coming
there. There are three sites at least, that would be open to that I believe.
It could be combined with a service work project - they could use about 2000
windbreak and edible trees and bushes planted, and a number of shelters
built, water catchment, etc. That is one way for me to get volunteers there,
since last year only three showed up after 20 confirmed. And though I am a
strong supporter of urban permaculture, I would love to see rez'es all going
off the grid and becoming self sufficient.

The one thing is - everything on the rez is WAY far apart and would entail
lots of driving if we go back and forth to different sites (which I would
strongly recommend so as not to favor only one tribe). A bus would definitely
be in order, or a fleet of them. Or some big flat bed trucks we can hang out
on. One place I work with has a veggie oil biodiesel operation which probably
needs some repair to get up and running but does work...

Koreen