permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Pure Water Revolution- NOT

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: loren luyendyk <loren@sborganics.com>
  • To: Permaculture Listserve <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Pure Water Revolution- NOT
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 05:10:04 +0000

Solar distillation is a revolution, yes. Not the unit that was in the video,
in my opinion. Mind you it is a great design, I just think that it would be
inaccessible to many of the world's poorest people as a result of the cost
and operation of the unit.

sals- what is the name of your filter and where did you get it? How much did
it cost? I am curious and would like to know more.

It is likely however that people in Africa who make less than a dollar a day
will not be able to afford a unit that is made of stainless steel and glass
unless it is subsidized by the first world. In some cases they may be able
to afford units like these for community scale, but if the unit only makes 2
gallons a day it is really only suitable for 2-4 people.

The design of the unit depends on the intended recipients. There is not one
solution to the world's water crisis, no silver bullet. There are many
different designs that work in different situations, and we as designers need
to know about all of the options if we are to really address the issue of
access to clean water in a holistic way.