permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Sampling of bee and other pollinator sightings this year by list subscribers wherever you are.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Sampling of bee and other pollinator sightings this year by list subscribers wherever you are.
  • Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 23:38:15 +0100

I'd say about 20 % of the bumble bees we had last year at this time. No honey bees at all and even wasps that seem to normally pollinate our goose berries are extremely rare.
That is not all. 5 days ago three (3) swallows arrived here out of the 70 or so that left the farm last September. Four weeks late and no others have come back so far.
John in SW Ireland

A friend suggested I take a poll in the list to see what bees and other
pollinators everyone has seen this year around the world. He lives in
mid eastern NC and is alarmed at the lack of honeybees he has seen since
early spring. He is on the edge of a vast truck farming region in the
state but may of the crops grown are heavily dependent on pollinators
and commercial beekeepers bring many thousands of hives to these farms
each year, attempting to time their arrival and departure between
pesticide applications.

What pollinators have you seen where you are this year? more, less,
bumper crop, none?

I have plenty on my 6+ acres because I encourage them and have three
small wet weather ponds. I have huge crops of wildflowers for them to
gather pollen from and I leave them where they are and hope the stands
will get bigger (daisies, goldenrod, tulip poplar, blackberries, wild
roses, ragweed, eleagnus, wild cherry, wild plum and many more).

LL