permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Article: "In Africa’s Vanishing Forests, the Benefits of Bamboo"

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Andrew Millison <amillison@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Article: "In Africa’s Vanishing Forests, the Benefits of Bamboo"
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 15:31:35 -0700

My friend Dain Sansome at Bamboo Valley in Albany, Oregon says that bamboo
does not typically grow true to seed, and it takes a long time to figure
out what you've really got when you grow it from seed. Seedlings are often
of inferior quality to the selected cultivar. But there is really excellent
genetic material here in the US from the most high value temperate climate
timber species, *Phylostachis edulis *'*Moso*'.

I've pasted a link to a video about this stand in Louisiana where the Moso
was dug and planted in Oregon by my friend Dain. He has about 7 acres of it
growing now on his farm.

http://www.beaverstatepermaculture.com/video/bamboo-revolution-begins

Take care,
Andrew Millison