permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Article: "In Africa’s Vanishing Forests, the Benefits of Bamboo"

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Evan <kodama@riseup.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Article: "In Africa’s Vanishing Forests, the Benefits of Bamboo"
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 17:20:06 -0400

Since Bamboo rarely sets seed, and when it does it's usually followed by the
death of the stand, I doubt anyone gets a consistent seed crop of bamboo.
That said, I think last year horizon herbs had some bamboo seed, perhaps they
still have some in stock...

I imagine the best way to get the bamboo cart rolling is to search your area
for stands and dig up new shoots or buy (expensive) nursery stock and start a
stand from which you can propagate new shoots after a couple of years. It
wouldn't surprise me if some botanical garden down there had a bamboo
collection.

Best,
Evan