permaculture - [permaculture] Do read this worthwhile news Re: Dare read all this

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Do read this worthwhile news Re: Dare read all this
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 19:56:38 -0500

On 2/11/2012 5:02 PM, Steve Hart wrote:
http://emergent-culture.com/world-macro-trends-report-for-1st-quarter-2012-world-on-the-brink-of-iran-syria-war-earth-changes-2012-ows-occupy/
.....piles of entangled conspiracy theory leading nowhere - just to distract you waste your time

The following is none of the above.

Dr. Jen Gunter
http://drjengunter.wordpress.com/
"Wielding the lasso of truth"

[These blog posts are an education, a breath of fresh air.]

<>

Dr. Jen Gunter, who is an OB/GYN and a pain medicine physician, writes a harrowing account of receiving a patient who has undergone an unsafe abortion, and is bleeding to death:
http://boingboing.net/2012/02/13/anatomy-of-an-unsafe-abortion.html
Anatomy of an unsafe abortion

<>

Read the entire account here: Anatomy of an unsafe abortion.
http://drjengunter.wordpress.com/2012/02/11/anatomy-of-an-unsafe-abortion/
Required reading in this year of presidential elections in America, in which so many candidates would have us return to the dark era in which abortion was illegal. Outlawing abortion doesn't end abortion, it just makes scenes like this more common.
And here's a follow-up post worth reading, by Dr. Gunter.http://drjengunter.wordpress.com/2012/02/12/imagine-if-all-the-money-spent-on-fighting-abortion/
Collapse this post
Anatomy of an unsafe abortion - Boing Boing
http://drjengunter.wordpress.com/2012/02/11/anatomy-of-an-unsafe-abortion/
http://boingboing.net/2012/02/13/anatomy-of-an-unsafe-abortion.html

<>

Imagine if all the money spent fighting about abortion…
Posted by Dr. Jen Gunter ⋅ February 12, 2012 ⋅ 27 Comments
http://drjengunter.wordpress.com/2012/02/12/imagine-if-all-the-money-spent-on-fighting-abortion/

I want to thank everyone who read and reposted yesterday’s piece, Anatomy of an Unsafe Abortion. Sadly, when abortion is expensive, even when legal, people take advantage of the system. After all, there are doctors performing plastic surgery with no training with devastating results, so it should come as no surprise that this happens with abortion. There should be even less surprise when we find out that it is the most disadvantaged women who fall victim. Disadvantage has many forms. From not knowing where to access low-cost contraception, to not knowing where to get a safe procedure, to a man who beats you and refuses to wear a condom or give you money for birth control pills, to not being able to speak the language, or even if you can to be able to advocate for yourself.

For those who asked, this case happened post Roe v. Wade. And yes, the patient lived.

I am all for making abortion an un-needed procedure. The best way to accomplish that is to prevent unplanned pregnancies. If every pregnancy in the world were planned, wouldn’t that be an amazing thing?

Imagine if all the money spent on fighting about abortion, on both sides, were directed towards preventing unplanned pregnancies? If we expanded sex education, access to contraception, worked on reducing poverty, and eliminated intimate partner violence (or at least made it far easier to leave).

Imagine what we could accomplish.

And as an aside, when faced with the prospect of an abortion, I didn’t have one. Pregnant with triplets a selective reduction was recommended and it just wasn’t for me. I wanted all three of my boys. Desperately. But things didn’t work out the way I’d planned it. One of my boys died at birth.

There are a lot of intelligent, media-savvy people on both sides. Why can’t we just look at the abortion issue differently and focus on our common ground? Why can’t we take all the money spent on lobbying, and laws, and advertising, and fighting and spend it on evidence-based ways to reduce unplanned pregnancies?

Finding common ground is hard. I look at Rick Santorum and I think, “You and I have nothing in common.” But you know I’m wrong. We’re both parents. We both love our children very much. And we have both lost a child. And I suspect if each one of use looked at someone who holds a different view about abortion, we could find something in common. Some way to start working together instead of screaming at each other. Could we put aside our dogma and everything that we think we know and just focus on the issue? Unplanned pregnancies?

Wouldn’t that truly improve the human condition and isn’t that our common goal?

<><><>

And what is the catholic church doing while all this is going on?
Ensuring their grip on a country's economic and political system,
extending their tentacles further into the population seeking new followers, helping to undermine their traditional means of survival, food production systems, natural health, family planning hoping to increase their dependency on the state and the church.

Vatican now supports GMOs
http://www.nature.com/nbt/journal/v29/n1/full/nbt0111-11.html

Vatican panel backs GMOs

Anna Meldolesi
Nature Biotechnology 29, 11 (2011) doi:10.1038/nbt0111-11
http://www.nature.com/nbt/journal/v29/n1/full/nbt0111-11.html
Published online 10 January 2011

Reversing an earlier stand, the Vatican has gone public with detailed arguments in favor of the expansion of genetically engineered crops, especially in the developing world. This report is from Nature Biotechnology:

A panel of scientists convened by the Pontifical Academy of Sciences (PAS) has made a passionate endorsement of genetically modified organisms (GMOs) for global food security and development. The statement, published in 16 languages in the 30 November issue of the journal New Biotechnology (http://www.ask-force.org/web/Vatican-PAS-Statement-FPT-PDF/PAS-Statement-English-FPT.pdf) is the result of a workshop held in the Vatican in May 2009, involving 7 members of the PAS and 33 outside experts. It states that “there is a moral imperative” to make the benefits of genetic engineering technology “available on a larger scale to poor and vulnerable populations who want them,” urging opponents to consider the harm that withholding this technology will inflict on those who need it most.

The panel's key recommendation is to free transgenic varieties “from excessive, unscientific regulation” that hampers agricultural progress by inflating the costs needed for crop R&D. Ingo Potrykus, a member of the panel and co-inventor of Golden Rice, who is at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich, is still waiting for its beta-carotene–enriched seeds to reach the fields and sees that decade-long delay as a bitter lesson for agricultural biotech. “There is lots of high-quality publicly funded research and lots of goodwill for public-private partnerships to use the technology for humanitarian ends, but nobody can invest a comparable amount of funds [to that spent by large agricultural firms]. It will be mandatory to change regulation if we have any interest in using the technology for public good and in the public sector and with nonindustrial crops.”