permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Drainage

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Drainage
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 02:24:42 -0800 (PST)

Steve,

I understand that the water needs to go somewhere, especially when you are on
level land that is flooded all around you. In that case, there is no
alternative to digging trenches. But that is not the case here; we live on a
hillside property with very little level land. One of our fields that can be
water logged for months is at an incline of 5 to 10 %. It shouldn’t get
water logged because the water could easily run off. Yet, the field is badly
eroded and SOM is low because of tilling by the previous owner. This to me
is a very clear demonstration of just how important SOM is for drainage.

Dieter