permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Drainage

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Drainage
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 02:56:46 -0800 (PST)

> Will those with experiences of soil drainage in wet
> climates please share those experiences, observations and
> advice.

Steve,

I’m in a semi-arid climate. If we do get rain, it is usually between
November and April. In a wet year, some of my fields are water logged for
almost 5 months. In the beginning, I dug some drain channels and even buried
drain pipes and gravel. I will not do that again. The effect was minimal.
I have very heavy clay soil with little OM. That is the reason the soil gets
water logged. The only way to remedy the problem is by increasing SOM – at
least in may case. It takes time, but it is the only sustainable way. A
clay soil rich in humus can absorb huge amounts of water without getting
water logged. It also has good drainage.

Dieter