permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [soilandhealth] Organic matter percentage

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [soilandhealth] Organic matter percentage
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 23:53:40 -0000

Of course there is these days at least in Europe. When an animal dies on farm you must have it collected by a special knacker firm at high cost. No worries, the system can't last much longer.
john

This brings up a question: When livestock die on a farm or (particularly) a ranch, do ranchers leave the body in place (maybe covered with a bit of mulch or straw as cover matter) and allow it to feed the soil, feed the vultures, etc? That's what I would want to do. And that's what would seem most logical from a permaculture standpoint, but I could see there being some kind of regulation against it in our hyperregulated society.

jenny

John D'Hondt wrote:

"...On the Midwestern Prairies grazers died or were eaten on the spot by
predators and so left the nutrients captured in their bodies in place."

Jenny Nazak
Austin Permaculture Guild

Still haven't taken a Permaculture Design Certificate course?
What on "EARTH" are you waiting for?
TWO spaces left in Winter/Spring 2012 course! www.austinperm.com

"Permaculture is the art of maximizing beneficial relationships."