permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Building soil

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Building soil
  • Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 19:23:39 -0500

On 12/28/2011 3:42 PM, Steve Hart wrote:
Building Soil, I think was the original subject of this thread. This
subject continues to amaze me. We throughout the Permaculture fraternity
have opened up this subject like the many that PC invites us to explore
experiment and practice. My long time friend and associate Glen Atkinson (
www.bdmax.co.nz) continues to open up the worlds of Biodynamics from his
re-writing of Steiner Agriculture so we could interpret it a little easier.
Many long debates with Glen has taught me that "these fairies at the bottom
of the garden as Bill quotes" teach us that the soil like all living
organisms is very much a part of cosmic science. A science that involves
spirit, etheral and astral energies and perhaps more, beyond the mere
material. I have been working with Glen's preps to add life and vitality to
my soil rebuilding with very positive results. As Skeeta says Yoemans has
taught us a little, worm teas, fish, composts, nitrogen fixers,
fertilisers, fallow, biochar and other material activities is giving great
benefits but dare we explore beyond that ? Steve Hart

Hello Steve, glad to have you back in this permaculture list, portal to an expanding global network of landtech pioneers, as I like to think of it.

Glen is a great person and I have enjoyed communicating with him on FB and indirectly in the BD list. Subscribe to that list and you will get to hear Glen waxing ecstatic about his agriculture and life energy theories which seem to revolve around Steiner revised and intergalactic electromagnetic forces. Interesting to read Hugh Lovel's consultancy name, Quantum Agriculture. That is quite a forum. It would take subtle energy to bring both these approaches into view, much as unifying quantum and relativity. BTW I highly recommend buying the DVD Fabric of the Cosmos and another titled mysteries of the universe or someother, all from PBS and their affiliates.

I have used on ,y 6+ acre farmland Yeoman's plows, giant hiller bedder cultivator, rotavator, hundreds of tons of several types of rock dusts, hundreds of tons of manures and compost, greensand, azomite, rock and colloidal phoshate and assorted other natural soil amendments. I did a once for all time massive soil building program then sold all the equipment and not work my beds by hand, basically no or minimum till.

I am now in the camp of no till with minimum till when absolutely necessary, let weeds or crops take care of weed problems. It works.
You would be surprised at how naturally-occuring stands of goldenrod, ragweed or daisy and lambs quarter will create bare ground underneath them.