permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Quora question: How does one build soil? http://www.quora.com/How-does-one-build-soil

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Felicity Wright" <flickwright@ozemail.com.au>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Quora question: How does one build soil? http://www.quora.com/How-does-one-build-soil
  • Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 10:57:09 +0800

Christian, that is a very well-made point.
I get tired of reading international posts that make blanket
statements that do not distinguish between clmates/soils.I farm (100
acres or 34 hectares) in a semi-arid region in Australia with very
poor soils - rainfall 400mm in the cold season and very high
evaporation rate, in fact in only two months of the year is
precipitation greater than evaporation.
Therefore I have to develop a range of strategies for enhancing soil
quality/biomass. Composting is a very important strategy, as is
mulching. Depends on the crop, the specific site on my property and
whether or not it will be watered. In situ composting only works when
there's enough moisture.
It helps if people avoid generalisations and speak of their own
experience and frame advice/suggestions in relation to their own
context.
cheersflick

Felicity Wright Management Advisor Live & Learn Cambodia +855 (0) 77
319 018 skype: flick.wright