permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Biochar

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Biochar
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 13:59:35 -0800 (PST)

Thomas,

You have expressed very well what I have been meaning to say.

What counts is the land management we perform every year and not the charcoal
we integrate only once. The very act of integrating charcoal usually
involves soil disturbance that, in itself, releases carbon into the
atmosphere.

Instead of using a technology fix of which the long term outcome cannot be
known, we should start right now by developing farming methods that will
reduce soil disturbance, or make it unnecessary, and that will keep the soil
covered by green vegetation most of the time. That is all the contribution
farming can or needs to make to counteract environmental destruction.

Perennials have their place in farming, but I think we should not
underestimate the importance of annuals, which 1) have a rapid growth, 2)
produce a lot of biomass, and 3) die to enrich the humus deposits of the soil
each and every year. The challenge is to develop methods for cultivating
annuals without soil disturbance - but there are numerous good models.

Yes, nature - just like humus or life itself - is a dynamic process. That is
why static concepts of humus as a stable substance are detrimental. That is
why ideas of sequestering carbon by integrating charcoal as a stable
substance in soil are basically flawed. Soil breathes just like humans
breath. The more microbial activity there is, the more it breathes – in and
out. If biochar advocates are correct and the charcoal “apartment buildings”
result in increased microbial activity, then that too will lead to more
carbon being gassed off into the atmosphere, which would render their
argument ad absurdum. There is a balance in everything: a balance in nature,
a balance in the soil, a balance in the gas exchange between soil and the
atmosphere. We are about to upset the balance in the atmosphere. We are not
going to remedy this by upsetting the balance in the soil – which is already
upset enough as it is.

I think there is also an underlying conceptual problem. We have been used to
the static chemical view of the functioning of soil and of plant nutrition
offered by agrochemists for so long that we have difficulty appreciating
humus as a living organism. Even organic advocates rely largely on the
analytical tools of chemical farming. I think it is important to develop a
more holistic biological approach, or organic farming will in the end not be
much more than a subspecies of chemical farming.

Dieter