permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Biochar

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Biochar
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 09:23:08 -0800

Dieter, I don't see it in the stark either-or terms that you put it in. We're
talking about two different goals and processes here--soil building alone via
humus, and using biochar to provide heat while sequestering carbon and
building soil in a different way. Obviously, the idea of clearing all biomass
and pyrolizing it into charcoal is insane. But many people are going to use
some sort of fuel for cooking or heating--in the developed world, we avoid
the whole issue by using petroleum. But wood is still the most common heating
and cooking fuel in the world. Efforts to convert wood-burning indigenous
people to solar-users mostly fail; some cultures can't make the shift, as
wood is embedded in their culture (I've seen shiny solar cookers converted
into jewelry) so they are going to continue to use wood. Those are the people
(and the lands) whom biochar would benefit the most. It would be stupid and
unpermacultural to advocate making biochar just for its own sake, but we're
talking about reducing wood consumption, building soil, generating a product,
and creating usable and clean heat via biochar. Making humus from biomass
only builds soil. So what you do with your biomass depends on what your goal
is. If you are fortunate enough to have no need for heat, have plenty of
wood, need soil built, and don't use a polluting or degenerative fuel, then
you probably don't need any function from your biomass other than making
humus.

But if not, biochar is a terrific way to stack functions, to generate heat,
keep air clean, and build soil at the same time.

We need to find some way to get carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere, without
doing something stupid with this valuable resource like shooting in into deep
underground fissures. Biochar provides a very multifunctional way to do that,
getting the carbon out of the air but keeping in in a usable form. Just
putting biomass into the soil does not sequester carbon; about 90% of the
carbon is sent back into the atmosphere within a year, as opposed to biochar
sequestering 30-40% of it for centuries. So in one sense, making humus out of
biomass is far more damaging to the climate than making biochar, if I can
play Devil's advocate for a minute. But anything is better than wasting
biomass.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com