permaculture - Re: [permaculture] question on soil regeneration

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jerome Rigot <jfrigot@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] question on soil regeneration
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 22:54:03 -0400

Hi Katy,

As Rob said, the primary thing is to identify the contaminant. If it is an
organic (diesel and other fuels, pesticides/herbicides, PCBs, others) there
are several approaches that can be tried such as using mushrooms a la
Stamets to degrade the pollutants.
For the heavy metals, using hyperaccumulator plants are an options,
constructing raised beds as Lawrence suggested, and one thing to keep in
mind is that addition of compost will make the heavy metal (such as lead)
much less bioavailable. Basically, the lead will become bound to some of
the humic compounds and exposure danger will be greatly increased.

But whatever the strategy you need to consider will be determined by the
contaminant(s) present in your soil. So, a soil test is a pre-requisite
test at this point.

Jerome