permaculture - Re: [permaculture] question on soil regeneration

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] question on soil regeneration
  • Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 17:54:11 -0400

On 11/2/2011 5:14 PM, Katy Fox wrote:
Dear all,

I hope you are well. I am writing because I have a recurrent question
at this moment, kind of related to some of the permaculture designs
I've been doing. We've been looking at community garden sites, and
there are some industrial wastelands that are kind of on offer. So I
wondered whether you have any experience with working with these
kinds of polluted lands and how you'd go about dealing with them. Can
you depollute them if they have heavy metals? are there any people
dealing with that specifically that you know? (I know some people
from Findhorn who are working to clean waters through biomimicry
processes - Biomatrix - but none who work with soil regeneration in
heavily polluted sites). where do you recommend I start my research
in this area? Metta katy

If the soil on these urban sites contain more than acceptable levels of
persistent pesticides (any category esp. herbicide) or heavy metals I would imagine outside help might be required in dealing with them.
Cleanup funding through grants or fundraisers to pay some professional hazmat/remediation company or pro bono work by one of those. I am sure many urban gardens have had to deal with this problem. You absolutely do not want plant uptake or hyperaccumulation of toxic substances; not to take any chances with this.

I have some old archives, not state of the art on hyperaccumulation and bioremediation - maybe some of this will be helpful:

Bioremediation
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/orgfarm/bioremediation/
a partial list of files in this archive:
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/orgfarm/bioremed
Hyperaccumulation
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/orgfarm/hyperaccumulation/

<>....<>

Another solution, if on site soil can not be used and you can build containers for raised bed gardens. Get donations of multiple truckloads of quarry rock dusts, add compost, manure, mineral amendments (donation too maybe: rock phosphate, greensand, azomite, aragonite, hi cal lime, seaweed, blood meal, dried chicken manure - i.e. all the Fertrell products). Quarry rock dust is EPA regulated as to environmental quality and is essentially siltation pond fines. It is nearly always given away to those who will haul it. You can hire a trucker to pick it up and the quarry will load their trucks for free; negotiate on price per load hauling fee. Best to buy tandem loads though triaxle loads are more cost effective, or dump trailer (36+/- cu. yds) if you have flat stable ground for them to offload on. This rock powder will probably be much better soil than what you have on site though you could have black gold if you are lucky. If building raised beds on top of polluted soil then be sure to put an impermeable barrier between your brought in rock dust or topsoil from off site and existing ground.

I have some farm-based experience with all of this so if I can help further I will be glad to.

LL
lfljvenaura@gmail.com