permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The Permaculture saying, "Prepare for Disaster" and the mo...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Linda Ray <lindaray@att.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The Permaculture saying, "Prepare for Disaster" and the mo...
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 15:41:22 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks John,

I've heard reports in the past of that 'brittleness' too. So you and I are in
agreement- I wouldn't want the dry ice touching the sides/bottom/top of the
bucket.

Some other important points IMHO:
Evaporating dry ice could result in condensation in surrounding material from
the temperature change, which would be more easily spotted/monitored in the
top of a container than by placing the ice at the bottom under everything. If
the container is sealed while such condensation is present, then moisture is
being sealed into the container with the goods.

I think some details of effective drypack storage procedure may change with
the local weather characteristics of wherever the goods are being
packed/stored. For instance, the arid high desert I now live in is quite
different from the extremely humid, hot and insect-ridden environment of S
Florida, from whence I came.

This may not be important to some- I am a bit of a perfectionist with this
type of thing.

Other folks have used tanks of CO2 ( a la welding supply, etc.) and hosed it
into the container slowly (run the hose down through the material to the
bottom), sealing after a period of time deemed sufficient to displace any
inside air.

Namaste,

Linda