permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The Permaculture saying, "Prepare for Disaster" and the mo...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The Permaculture saying, "Prepare for Disaster" and the mo...
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 20:57:43 -0000

Freezer burn is mostly dehydration and it is not necessary to have storage above zero degrees. I have seen plenty of freezer burn in flash frozen fish that is then further kept at -21 C. Water always moves to the coldest place and in a freezer that is the cool unit and not the fish or meat in the center. Without precautions the outside layers of food will dry out in a freezer and that is irreversible in fish or meat.
It can easily be prevented by "glazing". This is coating the food with a layer of water (ice) during freezing. This is often much handier than wrapping every item individually in plastic.
And dry ice would not cause freezer burn in grains or seeds but it might make a plastic bucket brittle.
john

Lawrence, what do you think would cause freezer burn from dry ice?

From my reading the cause of freezer burn is primarily dehydration and
secondarily oxidation, along with storage at temperatures above 0
degrees F. Very cold local temperatures don't seem to have much if
anything to do with it. A large part of the cure for meat is apparently
wrapping to prevent dehydration. With grain I doubt there would be much
of a problem with dry ice. I would expect exclusion of oxygen to be helpful.

If the Mormons recommend dry ice as Bob Waldrop says, their
recommendation is probably based on a lot of practical experience. I
would be inclined to take their word for it.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada