permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The Right Stuff: becoming a PDC instructor

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jason Gerhardt <jasongerhardt@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The Right Stuff: becoming a PDC instructor
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 10:56:49 -0600

Hi Steve,
About teacher qualifications, I think the best people on this listserv to
answer your question are Toby Hemenway, Scott Pittman, or Larry Santoyo (in
no particular order). There are certain requirements that one needs to meet
in order to teach the Permaculture Design Certificate course, such as
practicing permaculture design for years to build your experience and being
mentored by experienced teachers for quite a long time as well. A teacher
training course is a good start, but by no means sufficient to call yourself
a permaculture teacher.

Internally speaking, I think the best way forward is to build your skill as
a designer and pattern observer so you have stories and experience from
which to teach. It is this knowledge and confidence building that will make
a teacher effective.

There are actually hundreds of permaculture instructors out there, but the
world can always use more and more truly effective ones.

--
Jason Gerhardt
Designer and Educator