permaculture - [permaculture] Update on virus protection for those needing this info and a heads up about carelessly clicking on links in results from search engine queries.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Update on virus protection for those needing this info and a heads up about carelessly clicking on links in results from search engine queries.
  • Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 21:45:36 -0400

I use these three anti-virus/malware apps; computer shop technicians use as many as 6 or 8 in 4 to 24 hour sessions to cure and restore client's computers:

Spybot Search & Destroy
the real URL:
http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html
Google search result:
Spybot Search & Destroy
www.safer-networking.org/ - Cached - Block all www.safer-networking.org
results
Searches whole computer or just a certain file for malicious software
commonly missed by anti-virus programs. Can be used to clean usage
tracks. For 32-bit ...

Dr. Web Curit (the free version of Dr. Web
(worth the time registering for a free copy to download)
the real URL:
http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/?lng=en
Google search result:
Dr.Web CureIt! — download free anti-virus! Cure viruses, Best free ...
www.freedrweb.com/cureit/?lng=en - Cached - Block all www.freedrweb.com
results
Dr.Web CureIt!®. Do you have anti-virus software installed on your
computer, but still worry about its effectiveness? Run Dr.Web CureIt!®
(no need to install it) to ...

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
http://shop.malwarebytes.org/lpa/342/5/index.html?_kk=malwarebytes%20antimalware&_kt=f53b1b6b-b718-40d6-9cc0-1458525103f8&gclid=CMzfpqjYzKoCFQrf4AodyiYF1Q
(this is the real URL, long but is valid)
Google search result:
Malwarebytes®The Original - Protect, Detect & Remove Malware
www.malwarebytes.org/Anti-Malware
Trusted by IT & Security Pros.

These all came up in Google as the first result in the list.

The virus propagated unwittingly in email (never ever click on those
links you see in such email messages) may have originated when a user
clicked on a link provided in search results from any search engine,
innocent looking but a phony URL that executes the virus. The one I got
is the most famous and worst of all seen these days. I got locked apps
and popups advertising anti virus software (go to their website and
purchase and download their software - use credit card and while user
wonders why the non functional anti virus software just purchased isn't
working as claimed the thieves are draining user's bank account. Such
banks/credit card companies can transfer/wire funds from a US account to
somewhere in Eastern Europe or Russia or Asia without questioning the
validity of the transfer. In my case I shut the computer down
and rebooted to install Win 7 over Vista and reformat the hard drive in
the process. Best to be very careful clicking on search results provided
by any search engine these days. That is where this particular virus is
most often found (or in emails). Good idea to do your search
then manually type the URL you want to visit into the dialog box rather
than directly clicking on any link in the lists provided, or carefully
cut and paste the url after determining it is safe. The problem is that
it can be extremely difficult to make sure that a particular link is
actually the one you think it is.

  • [permaculture] Update on virus protection for those needing this info and a heads up about carelessly clicking on links in results from search engine queries., Lawrence F. London, Jr., 08/13/2011