permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Food forest on the rez

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Neil Bertrando <neilbertrando@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Food forest on the rez
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 08:36:35 -0700

Thanks for the link Andrew. I met Gordon at the Quivira Coalition
conference last Nov. He's a wealth of info about trees, especially fruit
trees with long chill hours.

I sent Cory some info off-list, but thought people here might be interested
as well.

Here's the nurseries I think might help people in cold and arid climates and
various warmer, wetter 4-season climes as well.

Lawyer Nursery in Montana: great wholesale trees for windbreak and
multifunctional support and timber plantings. lots of cold and drought
hardy plants
http://www.lawyernursery.com/

Northwoods nursery: wholesale division of One Green World. I think you need
to call to get their availability and order form.
http://www.onegreenworld.com/

Cummings Nursery: NY nursery with lots of rootstock and scion options and
more.
http://www.cumminsnursery.com/

You might also want to contact Oikos nursery. their trees are very small
and need growing out, but they are closer to you (michigan I think) and they
may be open to options if you talk with them directly. they have an amazing
selection of nut and support trees.
http://www.oikostreecrops.com/

Clifty View Nursery in Idaho. I haven't bought from them, but my friend
Nate recommended them to me.
http://www.cliftyview.com/

Cold Stream Farm Nursery. They offer several species of trees that were a
little harder to source at other nurseries for wholesale prices, but they
don't require bulk orders, though they price break at quantity.
I had moderate success with their trees this year. some arrived in amazing
shape, some a little scraggly. we had a late cold season this year, so I'm
still waiting another week before contacting them re: waking up of trees. I
too am working on a shoestring budget, so I bought the smallest trees which
may have been part of the reason. you may want to call and talk directly to
someone at the nursery before ordering.
http://www.coldstreamfarm.net/

also, here's a couple of bareroot sources our friend Michael Janik
recommends http://www.michaelsapples.com/links.html

And I always check to see if there is a nearby state tree nursery (check
division and department of forestry for your state, and other states) some
will ship out of state. I've bought from Virginia and Colorado and here in
Nevada. sometimes they have great trees and usually the prices are ~$1-2
per tree. often require bulk orders 25-50 in a bundle. I found Lespedeza
bicolor and Amorpha fruticosa at the Virginia dept. which were hard for me
to source from other location for a reasonable price. some links.
http://www.dof.virginia.gov/nursery/index.htm
http://www.wvforestry.com/nursery.cfm?menucall=nurse
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/forestry/nurseries/index.html

hope this is helpful for northern USA folks.
neil