permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Hand Tools

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Hand Tools
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 21:33:02 -0400

On 5/30/2011 1:56 PM, Jude Hobbs wrote:

Thanks, Lawrence for the comprehensive Gardening Guide and Farm& Garden
Hand Tool Sourcelist.

You're welcome, Jude. Stay tuned as I have much more to add to that document plus links to many more photographs and a few videos of me
using some of those tools in my garden beds.

I wanted to give a pitch for my favorite garden tool--
*Kusakichi Brand #11 Pick Hoe
*A one-handed hoe with a flat hoe on one end and a pick on the other.
This hoe is useful for digging, planting and turning soil.
http://www.hidatool.com/shop/shop.html

I think I may have one of those as I bought a wide assortment of them from Hida some time ago. Try their traditional Japanese kitchen cutlery;
buy an assortment of single bevel laminated forge welded knives - they are wonderful to work with.

You'll note the writing on the tools: A Japanese friend translated it
as: The Village Blacksmith

That's perfect. The Japanese are expert gardeners and tool makers. Their metalworking skills (blacksmithing, welding, machine shop, fabrication shop) are without equal and are often family operations in small shops along streets in towns and cities. They really excel at that. Their garden tools are unique worldwide. The German/Austrian, Spanish, Portuguese, Latin American, English, Dutch
and American tools are radically different.