permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [SANET-MG] What controls soil pH?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: Sustainable Agriculture Network Discussion Group <SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU>, soilfoodweb@AOL.COM, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, Market Farming <marketfarming@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [SANET-MG] What controls soil pH?
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 14:22:51 -0500

On 12/30/2010 1:13 PM, Elaine Ingham wrote:
Like a
human being living on a diet of Tums to neutralize stomach acid, it
is only a short-term fix, a "playing with symptoms", and not a cure
for the problem. With human digestive system problems, you can never
solve the problem by taking Tums (which is lime for human
consumption, right?). Now until you address the CAUSE of constant
acid indigestion will the condition change. So, fix the ulcers, or
change the food being eaten, but address the problem, because
applying lime does not, ever, solve the problem.

Some people (like me at one time) live in a fog as they try to deal with poor digestion and even acid reflux. Most of the time the solution is simple: probiotics and eating habits
eat a simple uncomplicated diet involving some cooked food and a lot of fresh raw food
eliminate things one is allergic to
consume natural unpasteurized sauerkraut, kim chee, kombucha and other naturally fermented foods as well as cultured probiotic supplements (New Chapter offers the best with four excellent products)
Literature:
Ann Wigmore Hippocrates Health Handbook and many more excellent works
on foodc ombining, fermented cultured foods (rejuvelac, seed cheese and other vegan probiotic cheeses]
Viktoras Kulvinskas "Survival In the 21st Century" contains excellent, accurate food combining information and chart [combining for maximum nutrition through maximum digestion], sprouting guide, sprout farms,
cultured foods, rejuvelac, and more. F.M. Lappe [combining for maximum protein from multiple vegetable sources].
Sandor Ellix Katz: "Wild Fermentation"
Bill Mollison: "The Book of Ferment and Human Nutrition"

<><>
What is the CAUSE of
lower-than-desirable-for-the-crop-you-are-trying-to-grow pH? Until
you fix the CAUSE, you will never stop having to apply the toxic
chemical.

Why would most row crops, which need neutral or only slightly
alkaline pH, cause the soil to become more acid? There's something
very wrong there...... yep, the soil is sick. What causes soil to
have an acid pH? What's going on with the organisms in the soil?

Uptake of NITRATE by plants does not acidify the soil. If you want
to invoke scientific papers that "show" that uptake of nitrogen
causes soil to become acid, please pay attention to the fact that
those papers paid no attention to what they were doing with oxygen,
and compaction, in their studies. They incorrectly interpreted the
result of anaerobic conditions developing in their soil with what
goes on with nitrogen uptake and pH.

It is the biology in the soil that determines soil pH.

Until the habitat in the soil is changed so that beneficial bacteria
and fungi are selected for by the soil environment, low pH problems
will eternally haunt you.

So, waste your money every year on more, and more and more chemicals?
That's the definition of a more-on, or moron, farmer, right?

Or fix the CAUSE of the problem, and never again have to apply toxic
chemicals in order to control pH?
<><>

What a great (to me) new piece of information, pH moderation by site-specific naturally-selected microorganisms. This is certainly important to add to a farmer's working knowledge of his craft. It never occurred to me and I had not run across this, so far, in the literature
I have read. It ought to turn some folks' thinking around.

I am of the opinion that quarry rock dusts may also have an effect on pH and certainly on the growth of grasses, clovers and other plants. I came to this conclusion after observing successions of communities of these thriving around my stockpiles of pyrophyllite and granite dusts.
The effect may actually be to nourish and stimulate colonies of beneficial soil microorganisms, which in turn, alter soil Ph, as you have described, as opposed to doing so directly, temporarily.
Q:
So, another challenge, how to build soil that will have the optimum pH for specific crops. Is this a factor that can be manipulated in any way?
Possibilities:
1) any kind of IM, EM, ACT, various other compost teas, fermented plant extracts and similar soil amendments
2) any particular types of compost made up of varying ingredients
3) commercially available organic soil amendments:
all sorts of quarry rock dusts: pyrophyllite, granite, basalt, feldspar, other (volcanic tuff)
oyster shell
pulverized seashell meal
hi cal lime
aragonite
azomite
fish meal
crab waste
seaweed, dry or liquid
blood meal
manures of all sorts
guano
greensand
rock or colloidal phosphate
dolomitic lime
soybean meal
alfalfa meal
others
4) irrigation and drainage strategies
5) cropping methods:
wide beds
raised beds
row
Fukuoka
grid
random pattern broadcast seeding of tilled soil for field crops (Middle Ages method perhaps)

  • Re: [permaculture] [SANET-MG] What controls soil pH?, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 12/30/2010