permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Major Victory for family farmers, sustainable agriculture: Food Safety Bill Passes with Family Farm Protections

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Major Victory for family farmers, sustainable agriculture: Food Safety Bill Passes with Family Farm Protections
  • Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 22:36:13 -0500

On 12/1/2010 5:16 PM, Gasper Family Farm wrote:
Its not a major victory at all. The so called protections for small
farms have major loopholes and will present zero resistance to the FDA
in their ongoing effort to destroy the last vestiges of small farms in
this country.

omygod, say it isn't so. Are you sure?
I won't say this is hysterical unsubstantiated rumor because it may not be and you may be on to something important.
Is all the work of Hagan, Tester, Burr and many others not going to benefit the small local farming community? Intead of a few lines of accusation can you give us necessary background so we can understand your viewpoint? If you're right I'd like to know more about this so as to be prepared for contingencies in the near future. Truthfully I supported S.501 with the necessary amendments (even though they are far from complete in support for small local and family farms, markets and processors) and campaigned for passage of the bill. I was going on the assumption that we had a bird in the hand and should go with the final version of the bill because if the bill was defeated, it would be very likely that the Republicans would later propose their own version of a Food Safety Modernization Act and get it passed without any protection or exemptions for small farmers. What say ye? Lets hear it.