permaculture - [permaculture] "Weird" Science - Microbes and Soil

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: BPG <bloomington_permaculture_guild@lists.riseup.net>, Permaculture ibiblio <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] "Weird" Science - Microbes and Soil
  • Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 00:19:38 -0500

"Weird" Science #5: Microbes and Soil

<http://johnscorner.blogspot.com/2010/11/weird-science-5-microbes-and-soil.html>

You'll love the TED video that accompanies this story.

(Snip)
The human body has about a trillion cells in it. And those trillion cells host--either in you or on you--about 10 trillion bacteria. You have about 30,000 genes in you; the bacteria you host have about 100 times the amount of genetic material or information. "So," says Bassler, "when I look at you, I think of you as 1 or 10 percent human and either 90 or 99 percent bacterial."

In the same way we humans have domesticated and now farm plants and animals for our benefit, so (say leading soils researchers) plants have established interdependent, symbiotic relationships with most of the protozoa, earthworms, arthropods, algae, bacteria, and fungi that surround their roots. The plants send food (about half of all the carbohydrates and other nutrients they produce) down to their roots
. . . and then, through their roots, they /exude/ these nutrients (in a liquid called /exudate/), into the soil. This exudate, in turn, feeds the bacteria and other organisms that live in the rhizosphere <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhizosphere> (the area of the roots).
(Snip)

Read the complete set at http://johnscorner.blogspot.com/search?q=Weird+science

--

Keith Johnson