permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Viewing SSE & Seeds of Change changes

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Viewing SSE & Seeds of Change changes
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 22:06:40 -0700

SoC Research Farm was a place I taught at several times, thanks to Scott
Pittman (who knows more about this than I do, but I do know a bit from
talking to many who worked there).

The Farm always had very high staff turnover, was terribly underutilized,
never seemed able to really get off the ground, and was marred by constantly
changing plans and directions because no manager seemed to be able to last
there for more than a year or two, and often much less. This sort of chaos
made it unlikely that good people would stay. Every time I was there,
particularly for the last 3 years, there were always troubles of one sort or
another going on, and it often looked like very little was being done there.
Some good work was done there, but overall it was a money-loser that was
completely subsidized by Mars, and couldn't have kept running without the
large cash infusions that the corporation kept plowing into it. The staff
understood that Mars would eventually tire of pouring money into a losing
operation, and yet they still never were able to make it profitable or make
it look like a successful operation. Mars finally pulled the plug. They
stayed with it an awfully long time. So I can't really blame Mars for tiring
of getting so little for all the money they put into it. Without Mars's
subsidy, it would have failed much earlier, as no small seed business could
have possibly afforded to run such a place. I wish it could have been better
run and been more successful, but it wasn't.

Remember that the research farm is only a small part of Seeds of Change. The
firm itself is still operating in much the same way it always has. Most of
the employees I talked with felt that being bought by Mars (which happened
years ago), even though it went counter to the ideological beliefs of many of
them, turned out to be good for them, and made it possible for the company
to develop. But some people didn't like it, for sure.

But I will miss that farm. It was a sweet piece of ground.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com