permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Check out this tree for your Permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Robyn Francis <erda@nor.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Check out this tree for your Permaculture
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 09:28:28 +1100

Yes, its a lovely tree, grows a bit slow (for a tropical spp) and you need
patience to wait the 4- 5 years before it first bears fruit. We get 2 crops
a year, one in spring and another in summer. The spring crop just finished a
couple of weeks ago.
I've 2 Jaboticaba growing here, one under canopy in the food forest and the
other in an open edible landscape (they're an attractive small tree). I'll
be planting a few more as I'm interested in making Jaboticaba wine as grapes
don't like the humidity here. Its a hardy species and has handled the
extremes of our subtropic climate well: excessive wet, drought, and even
frost.
There's lots of interesting fruit in the tropics and subtropics...
Robyn