permaculture - Re: [permaculture] official certification

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] official certification
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 16:05:33 -0700 (PDT)

Killian,

As you know my main focus has been grass roots community at Pine Ridge and in
urban settings. But I believe you are incorrect about policy makers not being
able to make changes. Some of them are aware and ready and they are in a
better position than a lot of other people because most of us have NO CLUE
where the water supplies are that would supply a city like Los Angeles, for
instance. The "water officials" know where the valves are, where the aquifers
and wells are, where the dams should be laid to capture water and pavement
torn up so water can soak into the aquifer, etc. These plans have been
presented at city and county level in LA, for instance, and amongst key
non-profits and community leaders. The average LA'er, HAS NO CLUE. If they
happen to have rain barrels (probably about .0000001 percent of the
population right now), good luck protecting the water from the neighbors.

Where disaster occurs, there will be people stepping up to the plate at
bioregional level who know what is going on. In many cases, those people
will be blindsided and won't have a clue and will screw up royally. But where
they are educated, they can save lives and preserve resources so it's worth
educating them. You can bet I'll want policy makers in my neck of the woods
educated!

We brought members of Ministry of Environment Haiti to our grass roots Pine
Ridge property because we like to mix policy makers in with people's
movements. It's an interesting energy and does very interesting things in the
system. Fun and educational to observe....

Best, Cory